When fire unexpectedly damages a policyholder’s home, the first steps they take could mean the difference between a small cleanup and a more severe and costly claim. Before ServiceMaster Restore arrives on the scene, your policyholders should follow these steps to help keep the damage to a minimum.
- If the temperature is above 60 degrees, air out the house to reduce smoke odor.
- Clean Formica, chrome, porcelain and aluminum fixtures to prevent permanent tarnishing or etching.
- Change the air filter on the furnace if it uses forced hot air.
- Tape damp cheesecloth over returns and supply registers to capture loose soot in the air.
- Do not touch anything with bare hands.
- Oil from hands can permeate upholstery, walls and woodwork, causing additional damage.
- Do not wash walls.
- Incorrect cleaning could compound the soot residue.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture.
- Do not use electrical appliances until having them checked.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet.